The Department of Population Health Sciences is committed to advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion across its broader mission of research, education, community impact, and in its synergies across the University of Utah.
Read the letter from the PHS Department Chair on our department’s commitment to racial justice.
The EDI Committee evaluates the department's current practices, develops appropriate solutions to advance EDI priorities, and works to implement and monitor change. Our committee is open to all members of the PHS community, and aims to have representation from students, postdoctoral scholars, staff, and faculty.
The EDI committee supports PHS in achieving the following objectives:
- Recruit a diverse faculty, staff, and trainee population, and develop a pipeline for students underrepresented in population health sciences.
- Support and retain faculty, staff, and trainees by creating a safe and equitable work environment where all individuals feel a sense of belonging.
- Train the next generation of scientists to recognize and address inequities and health disparities.
- Ensure that our policies are not biased and that our guiding values are clearly articulated both internally and externally.
- Increase local community engagement by promoting opportunities for service and action, and supporting research that engages diverse local communities.
- Use our knowledge of, expertise in, and commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) to be leaders in our health system, broader academic institution, and fields of study for promoting EDI.
- University of Utah Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion - Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) serves across the entire university system and leads this work for the University. It includes resource centers; offices; and associated student, faculty, and staff affinity groups. It's mission is to serve as a catalyst for transformation towards diversity, equity, and inclusion as an embodiment of the University’s core values with the ultimate vision of establishing a culture of belonging throughout the University and becoming a model campus for equity, diversity, and inclusive excellence.
- University of Utah Health Equity Diversity, & Inclusion - The University of Utah Health Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion (UHEDI)'s mission is to create an inclusive climate while also addressing health and education inequities within the University of Utah Health (UUH).
- Graduate School Diversity Resources - Inclusiveness of students from communities underrepresented in higher education, particularly racial and ethnic communities, creates a better academic environment for all students and is a goal we are committed to reaching. The University of Utah Graduate School is dedicated to collaborating with university entities to create a campus climate that accommodates all members of the graduate community.