Rheumatology Training Program
The University of Utah Rheumatology training program is a two-year experience with the goal to be board eligible in rheumatology and prepared for clinical practice. Reporting milestones are used as are curricular milestones and entrustable professional activities (EPAs) to help the trainee progress along the spectrum from medicine provider to rheumatologist. It is especially focused to provide house staff and fellow clinical education. We are an ACGME approved program. Applications are accepted through ERAS. The rich training experience includes, but is not limited to:
- Care of patients in the ambulatory setting
- Care of patients and consultations for in-patients
- Development of skills in literature review
- Development of presentation and conference skills
- Scholarly projects with exposure to the fundamentals of research design
Unique Program Attributes
- We have several subspecialty clinics, which offer intensive experiences in a specific disease spectrum. These include Psoriatic Arthritis, Systemic Sclerosis, Musculoskeletal Ultrasound, and Vasculitis Clinics.
- Pediatric Rheumatology Rotation provides a unique inpatient and outpatient exposure to the pediatric rheumatic disorders. Fellows also gain exposure to the key differences in presentation and management of pediatric versus adult onset rheumatic diseases. This includes education on the role that immunodeficiency plays in early onset rheumatic disease.
- Telemedicine Rotation provides fellows with opportunity to participate in real-time face-to-face general rheumatology consults and remote osteoporosis management as part of the Rural Bone Clinic at the VA.
- Our fellows participate in The Center of Excellence in Musculoskeletal Care and Education Week - national program to teach the evaluation and management of patients with common musculoskeletal conditions. Faculty in this program includes primary care, rheumatology, endocrinology, orthopedics, and physiatry. Objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) is part of the trainee evaluation.