From the Desk Of...
Each month, one staff member from the Department of Internal Medicine will be highlighted in a new staff recognition program called "From the Desk Of..." We are fortunate to have such talented staff members, and we want the rest of the department to get to know "the face behind the email."
September's featured staff member is Hillary Shaw, The Ryan White Program Director in the Division of Infectious Diseases.
- What is your favorite motto/quote? "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Mahatma Gandhi.
- What is the best thing about working at the University of Utah? Helping people! I have a passion for helping people, but particularly underserved populations.
- What is your favorite book? Not sure I have one! But I secretly loved the Twilight series.
- Do you have any pets? Yes! I have quite a menagerie. I have 2 dogs, a cat, a Quaker parrot, and 3 backyard chickens. The most recent member of the family is my 2nd dog, who is a blind poodle that just turned 1 year old, so she keeps us all on our toes!
- Where do you work? SOM.
- How do you prefer to start your day? Lots of coffee.
- What was your first job? I was a lifeguard and swim instructor.
- What’s a typical day at work like? There is no typical day at work! That is what I love about it. You just never know what new challenges will come your way each day.
- What’s the best part of your job? Working with our clients. I am truly passionate about our patient population and love talking to and working with patients.
- What book are you reading right now? Where the Red Fern Grows.
- Do you collect anything? Plants! I have been slowly building my “collection” over the last 2-3 years. I am up to over 60!
- If you could eat only one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? Anything with Cheese!