From the Desk of Yuxia He
Each month, one staff member from the Department of Internal Medicine will be highlighted in our staff recognition program called "From the Desk Of..." We are fortunate to have such talented staff members, and we want the rest of the department to get to know "the face behind the email."
March's featured staff member is Yuxia He, a Senior Laboratory Specialist from the Division of Nephrology.
- What is one fun fact about yourself? I’m a skinny Asian woman who likes to talk to my cat.
- What is your favorite motto/quote? “For there is nothing heavier than compassion. Not even one's own pain weighs so heavy as the pain one feels with someone, for someone, a pain intensified by the imagination and prolonged by a hundred echoes”. Milan Kundera
- What is the best thing about working at the University of Utah? The rigorous, but very supportive research team. Very diverse and friendly work environment.
- What is your favorite book? The handmaid’s tale
- Do you have any pets? I have a grey tabby cat who acts like dog. He flows me everywhere when I’m at home
- Where do you work? I work in VA medical center research building.
- How do you prefer to start your day? I start my day with a cup of coffee and NPR “up first” podcast.
- What was your first job? I sold green tea in the hot summer day when I was in the high school back in China.
- What’s a typical day at work like? I check and return my emails when I first come to work. Then I start the experiments that I have planned previously. I usually organize the data, plan the future experiments after that. Sometimes I do the literature search and troubleshooting for the projects I’m involve in. I report to my supervisor once a week.
- What’s the best part of your job? The rigor of the research and the flexibility of the work schedule
- What book are you reading right now? Empire of pain: the secret history of the Sackler dynasty by Patrick Radden Keefe
- What is your favorite podcast and why? The Ezra Klein Show. It involves a lot of topics: the government, the news, the politics, the cultures, etc. Like Ezra Klein said: invite you into a conversation on something that matters. Besides, the guesses always recommend three their favorite books at the end of show.
- If you could snap your fingers and become an expert in something, what would it be? I would like to be a gardener or a dog, cat trainer.
- What’s your superpower at work and at home? I’m very efficient. I’m good at multitask.
- If you could have only three apps on your smartphone, what would they be? Message, Fitness+ and podcast.
- What is your favorite way to decompress after work? Reading, Yard work, excise and playing with my cat.
- If you could eat only one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? Juicy steak with sweet potato fries.
- Who would you want to play you in a movie about your life? Sandra Oh