As a preliminary intern in the University of Utah Internal Medicine Training Program, you will be integrated into the same high-quality education program as our categorical interns. The University of Utah is a leader in research and innovation, and we are proud to weave those threads throughout our training program. We strive to mentor and support our residents to practice at the top of their clinical skill, allowing increasing autonomy and clinical independence throughout training.
This one-year program provides a strong foundation for advanced residency training from anesthesia to radiology. Our program consists of around 25 preliminary interns and 30 categorial interns each year. We offer a balance of inpatient, critical care, and ambulatory training experiences in three distinct hospital settings. Our interns are on a 4+1 schedule system, with at least every fifth week spent on an outpatient rotation. To learn more about these experiences, see our Clinical Rotations page. As a prelim, you will also have an elective rotation to pursue other clinical interests outside of internal medicine.
Prelim Year Partnerships with University of Utah Residencies
We have developed partnerships with several residency programs at the University of Utah where applicants may apply, interview, and match as a categorical PGY1 to their career residency program, and train as preliminary interns with our internal medicine program. These candidates do not interview or match separately with internal medicine.
- University of Utah Health - Anesthesiology/IM NRMP# 1732040C1
- Please note that this track is one of multiple options for matching into the UUH Anesthesiology Residency.
- University of Utah Health - Dermatology/IM NRMP# 1732080C0
- Please note that this track is one of multiple options for matching into the UUH Dermatology Residency.
- University of Utah Health – Neurology NRMP# 1732180C0
- All UUH Adult Neurology Residency positions include a prelim year with IM.
- University of Utah Health – Med-Prelim/Ophthalmology NRMP# 1732140P1
- All UUH/Moran Ophthalmology Residency positions include a prelim year with IM. As the San Francisco match timeline is earlier than the NRMP timeline, applicants who have matched to the University of Utah/Moran Ophthalmology residency do need to rank and submit this Internal Medicine preliminary program via the NRMP match. Applicants do not need to interview separately with the IM preliminary program.
- University of Utah Health - Phys Medicine & Rehab NRMP# 1732340C0
- All PM&R Residency positions include a prelim year with IM.
- University of Utah Health - Radiology-Diagnostic/IM NRMP# 1732420C0
- Please note that this track is one of multiple options for matching into the UUH Diagnostic Radiology Residency.