Home- Rural & Underserved Utah Training Experience (RUUTE)
Welcome to the Rural & Underserved Utah Training Experience (RUUTE) website! We are excited that you are interested in our medical school and the unique opportunities for medical students, providers, and the Utah community. There are several opportunities housed within the RUUTE Program that align with the goals of the School of Medicine's Exceptional Learning Experience (ELE) that promote professionalism, community, and meaningful relationships. RUUTE's learning experiences range from community outreach, becoming a preceptor, to learning experiences for medical students and residents. RUUTE also supports medical students and residents with wellness, housing and mileage reimbursement, application support, and more. Peruse our website to learn more about the program and what we have to offer the community in Utah.
To improve medical education and training, health care access and long-term socio-economic benefit for rural and underserved communities of Utah by expanding interest, awareness, and placement of students and physicians.
- Increase the number of providers practicing medicine in rural and underserved areas of Utah
- Create a pathway for University of Utah School of Medicine students that will lead to a Graduate Certificate in Rural & Underserved Health
- Identify, recruit, and nurture students from rural and underserved areas to matriculate and thrive at the University of Utah School of Medicine
- Assist medical educators from rural and underserved areas to enhance their teaching skills through faculty recruitment and development
- Facilitate University of Utah School of Medicine faculty in delivering high quality educational content both in-person and remotely
- Enrich the community of rural providers by connecting them to a state-of-the-art academic health system
- Build a medical education infrastructure that residency programs (also known as Graduate Medical Education [GME]) may participate in and grow into one day